Erin is going into her senior year at Orangewood Christian School and this is her first trip to Casa Hogar.
1) Why did you decide to come to Casa Hogar?
I have always to go on a missions trip and I have heard lots of good things from my friends about Casa Hagar. I love kids and don’t mind hard work so I thought it might be a perfect fit!
2) What made you think that you would be a good fit for this trip? What skills or passions do you have that would aid in the work that we do?
I like working, I like helping others, I LOVE working with kids. Whenever I am around children, I feel happy. I help in a classroom at MCP and I feel like that has helped me understand how to meet these children where they are at. It has helped me know what the age appropriate needs are.
3) Have you found this trip to be what you expected? What has surprised you?
It is sort of what I expected but I did not for it to change me like it has. I have been surprised by how quickly you are able to bond with these children. After 4 or 5 days, I truly feel that I have some close relationships here.
4) You mentioned being changed, can you share with me a few of the ways that you feel your heart changing?
I guess I have realized how much I take for granted when I am home. Also, these children give us so much love when that is the reason that we come, to give them love. But they find a way to turn it back around.
5) What have you learned about the character of God from being at Casa Hogar?
I have learned that he is an amazing God. These children have so little and yet their joy radiates His love. They are in a place where they are being reassured of God’s love and I think that’s amazing.